270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: MSD 6al - 2nd Gen DIY  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
MSD 6al - 2nd Gen DIY
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:38:17 pm »
Alright yall, after some suggestion by bigriver i decided to do a write up on the MSD ignition system install

MSD 6al Ignition System Install (Same for 6a as well)

Materials Needed:
MSD package
Solder Iron/Gun and Rosin
Wire covers (not necessary but makes it look better)
Blaster 2 or 3 Coil (again not necessary, but i had one so ill include it)
Wire crimper tool
Drill Bits/Drill

Step 1:
Disconnect battery. Both sides is recommended.
Start off by finding a sutable spot under the hood for the MSD Box to mount. I picked , well i copied, padodgeram's idea of putting it where the stock intake takes in air. Take your time to measure out where the holes line up and make sure you have room before you drill. I made the mistake of not putting my hand behind the area i wanted to drill to make sure i had enough room to put the mounting blocks and the nuts to tighten them. Saves alot of frustration if you take your time.

Step 2:
Then find a sutable place to mount your blaster coil. You dont have to have a blaster coil, but it is recommended to use with the 6al system. If your going to use your stock coil skip to step 3. I mounted mine by the engine wireing harness with a u clamp from home depot. You can make it easier on your self by ordering the bracket from MSD.

Step 3:
Now its time to wire. Dont be afraid, its only 2 wires that are cut, the ones from your coil. If you are going to use a blaster coil, there is no need to splice the coil signal from the msd to the stock coil harness. If you are going to use the stock coil, pull out the wire harness going into it. Cut it about an inch above the plug, and set it aside. Get your solder ready, and solder the green wire on the plug to the orange wire coming from the msd, and the black wire to the black wire on the msd. Once cooled, wrap with electrical tape to protect the connections and reconnect the coil.

If you are using a blaster coil, attach the orange msd coil wire to the + side of the blaster and the black to the - side of the blaster.

Step 4: Time to wire the ignition system. The wires that were cut from the coil  (stock ignition system wires) will now be wired to the msd. The red wire from the msd goes to the green and the white wire goes to the black. Make sure to solder and wrap the connections with electrical tape.

Step 5: Attach the ground strap on the MSD to a good ground spot on the chassis or engine block.

Step 6: Attach the Red power wire to the positive side of the battery.

Double check all your connections and solders. Make sure no wires are hanging on the headers or they will burn (had this happen but caught it before it hurt somethin)

Reconnect the battery, start her up and enjoy.

I recommend using this mod in line with 8mm wires and a blaster coil.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:08:36 pm by Cumminalong »

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
Re: MSD 6al DIY
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:32:22 am »
how much of a difference do you notice with that?

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MOTYDonorDistinguishedTech
Re: MSD 6al DIY
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:14:10 am »
Nice write up man.  I just noticed that you are just little over an hour from me....

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
Re: MSD 6al - 2nd Gen DIY
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:30:25 pm »
yeah i aint too far from that area... nice to know your around.

i noticed a huge gain, the truck has a pull at 3k rpm and i can let the tires finally go whenever i want to, even thought it aint a race car.

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc