270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Power seat owners - WARNING!!!!  (Read 2838 times)

Offline CumminsCrazed

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    DonorContributorHigh Mile Club
Power seat owners - WARNING!!!!
« on: March 20, 2009, 04:37:35 pm »
The last few weeks Ive been getting a random relay type clicking sound coming from under/around the left side of my dash.  I came to find out it was only when i was sitting in my seat, because every time i hopped out to look under the dash, it would stop.  This gave me challenge to figure it out because i had NO clue what it could be.  Anyway, it had stopped for a while and then started back up a lil bit this past week.  Same results every time i got out to look.

Anyway, yesterday i went to a friends on an automotive service call and it started its clicking again.  When i got to his house it did NOT go away when i got out of my truck so i quick pulled my fuse panel cover off and looked around, checked the relays etc. and they were all clicking when the sound went off.  I went ahead and left it be for maybe 20 min and came back out, it was STILL doing it, so i checked the same 3 things it could be (big blue relay box thing, and what looked like a weird mega fuse for pwr windows and pwr seats)  Found out the power seats one was VERY hot so i figured out what it clicking.  At the time i was actually pretty uncertain as to what it even was.  Looked to me like a fuse or relay.  Anyway, later that evening i went to our local Oreillys and picked up a new one, found out its a circuit breaker, figured that it prolly wasn't the cause, but put a new one in due to the temperature of the old one when i pulled it out.  Stuck it back in before i left and right away, it started clicking.  On the way home i was thinking about where i would be getting a short and having a wire grounding out causing the circuit breaker to break so much.  It also began to smell of something hot, so i KNOW something wasn't right AT ALL (lucky i caught it before i may have burnt my truck down)

When i got home, i started looking around under my seat, at the white  connector etc.  When i put my weight on the left side of my seat cushion bottom i heard what sounded like sparks and the circuit breaker clicked again.  AH HA, i had located the general source.  So i go looking under my seat again and pushing/leaning down in the same area, turn off my light and sure enough, i see sparks!

I begin by removing the plastic cover over the power seat controls, it has 3 Phillips head screws holding it one, 2 on the side, and one right where the cover curves to the rear of the seat, one of the screws is hidden behind the manual seat recliner, which is also held on by a Phillips head screw.  After i got that off i turned the unit over to disconnect the power seat controls from the plastic cover itself, which is 2 more Phillips head screws. (i apologize for no pics here, this is before i got my camera to document this.)  After i had removed the 2 pieces this is what i saw.

It took me a little bit to figure out which wire it was due to having the wire bundle taped together etc.  I eventually found the wire, which is a red wire with a light blue tracer running through it, and the cause of the problem. (Pic not perfect)

I started to look at the spot where it had been grounding out and i saw this, and if you look closely, on the rear part of the frame you can see little pieces of what looks like wire melted to the frame

Like i said, this was all later at night, and didn't have much room for pics as everything i was doing was very tight quarters and needed lots of hands.

Anyway, i have fixed the issue by cutting back the existing tape and making sure there are no additional places it had made contact etc, checked all the other wires and taped the bare wire area VERY significantly, probably 8 times around the wire itself, than another 6 times around the bundle.  I checked it last night after finishing to make sure i never heard anything clicking, which i didn't so for now, i believe it is ok.

just wanting to warn all 2nd gen owners, possibly early 3rd gen as well, to a possible wear area at this point for the power seat wiring.  The 30 sec-1 min it takes to remove and check it is more than worth possibly burning your truck down!

Silencer ring MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Boost Elbow, Edge Comp, AutoMeter Boost Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LBDP Budget 5" Turbo Back Exhaust w/ 6" Flo_Pro tip, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, 20% Tint,  B&M Racing T handle shift knob,

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: Power seat owners - WARNING!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 04:39:52 pm »
Good find!

Hope it doesn't come back again.

Electrical gremlins sure are fun aint they :argh:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:19:31 pm »
Thanks for the heads up and investigation on this. This will likely save someone else a lot of time if they experience the same thing. :up: :up:
:cnfg:
'03 2500 CTD HO Laramie QC SB, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, BD X-Intake, custom 4" TBE, 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on 17x9 Cragar Soft 8s, Bilsteins all around, ProComp Dual Stabilizers w/ Bilsteins, Custom Diesel SBS, GlowShift 7 Series White guages (Boost, EGT, Trans)

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 05:40:27 pm »
Nice catch!

You know I'll be checking this today!  :eek:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline CumminsCrazed

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:49:53 pm »
no prob.  someone else on another forum mentioned that black plastic "rubbing block" in the 3rd pic behind where my issue was, he was wondering if maybe over time it didnt somehow move or something and cause my prob.

Silencer ring MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Boost Elbow, Edge Comp, AutoMeter Boost Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LBDP Budget 5" Turbo Back Exhaust w/ 6" Flo_Pro tip, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, 20% Tint,  B&M Racing T handle shift knob,

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:02:57 pm »
AWESOME find, and AWESOME writeup !!

Thanks brotha .... you ROCK !!! :punk:

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:00 pm »
Wow, that's something else.

I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't mind if mine did that and caught fire.
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline CumminsCrazed

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:47:21 pm »
AWESOME find, and AWESOME writeup !!

Thanks brotha .... you ROCK !!! :punk:

just a doin my job!

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MOTYDonorDistinguishedTech
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:34:47 am »
Good job on the find and pics...

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 02:27:06 am »
Good job! Pics are good. If I might add a little advice, by seeing the condition of the wire in question, and from experience with similar wiring problems I would most definitely cut out the bad section and solder in a new piece. The excessive heat from the constant shorting has deteriorated the copper wire to the point of being brittle which in the future could/will break. Just my  :cents: worth. Nice detective work though! Automotive wiring can be a real P.I.T.A

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline CumminsCrazed

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 04:38:49 am »
im aware of that.....just waiting for a nicer day later in spring where i can work on it more and not be scrunched in my garage

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc