270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: getting codes from Key  (Read 5435 times)

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
getting codes from Key
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:06:26 am »
OK this morning my truck tossed up the CEL.  So I pull into the parking lot at work wait for it to cool down; turn off the radio & lights and turn off the truck.

For the bloody life of me I could NOT get the code to come up w/the 3 key trick.  I did not have my foot on the brake I had everything off.  Turned the truck over after failing on the 3rd try.  Removed the key and waited a minute still NOTHING  :argh:

So I'm sitting there in the parking lot ... yelling at my key ... shaking it... and hit the unlock button.  I've got the auto-lock enabled.  So at 15 MPH my doors all lock. 

Next try the code comes right up. 

So here is the question....for those of you that have been successful getting codes...did you have the doors locked?  Is that some secret squirrel hand shake that I missed?  Or was it just dumb luck that the 19th millionth time I got it to come up?

(I'll give the code story once I have more info...so don't ask :tt2:)
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
Re: getting codes from Key
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:13:18 am »
I usually have my door open when I check. Not sure why, but that's how it seems to be.
So it would be unlocked.
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline Cujo

• Lead Moderator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Just One Big Freakin' Ray of Sunshine...
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:16:41 am »
When I tossed that code a couple of months ago, I couldn't get the key trick to work either. Must have tried 10 times, reread the post on how to and tried another 6. If I remember correctly I tried it with the door open and with the door closed and unlocked. The early 07's have other quirks too like not being able to disable the horn chirp when you use the fob to lock the doors, as described in the manual.  I just chalked it up to another quirk. Either that or I'm just really challenged.
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab SWB
5.9L I6 Cummins Diesel/4 speed auto, Big Horn Edition
Westin Oval tubes, MBRP exhaust, AFE CAI, DiPricol Gauges,
Smarty, Line-x, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:26:37 am »
I believe there are some soft codes that will throw a CEL, but the code will not be stored in memory.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline Cujo

• Lead Moderator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:31:53 am »
I believe there are some soft codes that will throw a CEL, but the code will not be stored in memory.

In this case would you be able to retrieve the code with a scanner. I was able to only with the aid of a code reader.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:35:00 am »
i have checked mine a bunch of times after shutting the door and having the doors unlocked...

must be a glitch in the system  :scratch:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Cujo

• Lead Moderator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:38:09 am »
That's one of the reasons I got the smarty, so I could read and clear codes.  :whistling:

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 03:48:05 am »
That's one of the reasons I got the smarty, so I could read and clear codes.  :whistling:

im willing to bet a cold one that its only 5% of the reason you went with smarty  :lol:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 03:48:31 am »

Smarty was at HOME...I was not :argh:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:20:50 pm »

Even still she would have gotten '----done----' in the odo box.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 03:07:26 am »
I don't know if it has anything to do with door open or closed or locked or unlocked. But I found it a whole lot easier on the "off" stroke to not go all the way back to the steering lock position, but only back one click from the on position. I used to try and go all the way back to the lock position, and with a manual trans we have that little button you have to push that gets in the way. When I was doing all that it was hit or miss as to if I would get the codes to come up. Now I can do it at will ON, one click back, ON, one click back, ON.....and it works like a charm.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 05:06:03 am »

im willing to bet a cold one that its only 5% of the reason you went with smarty  :lol:

Nick - you've met Chad?  :lol: :lol: :lol:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 05:49:13 am »
apparently i have not, it seems like there is something i dont know about him.... anyone wanna fill me in  ::?:

;D

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 05:51:55 am »
I just think you've got him nailed

He'll tell you the smarty is just for reading codes, but the right rear quarter and bumper are probably covered in soot  :lol: :lol:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 06:51:03 am »
haha, i was thinking maybe he was the kind of guy that ONLY bought it for the reader  :lol:

of coarse though.. no one buys these mods without mainly planning to play harder  :whistling: especially after spending near 700$ on something!

you know, when i bought my smarty i was trying to convince myself that it was for better mileage... phhhhhh! i had visions of clouds of smoke after a SWEET take off  ;D ;D

if only we didn't have to convince ourselves... we would have no money left what so ever!

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc