270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Boost Elbow Installation - 3rd Gen 5.9L CTD  (Read 13235 times)

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
Boost Elbow Installation - 3rd Gen 5.9L CTD
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:37:06 pm »
This DIY is in on '03 5.9L CTD. I'm not sure what other years this may apply to as I don't know how all 3rd gens are set up. I assume it would apply to all 3rd gen 5.9's, hopefully somene else can clarify.

This is a very simple mod that anyone with a few simple tools can do!

I am installing the boost elbow that is supplied with the Edge Juice w/ Attitude. It is a non-adjustable boost elbow, some elbows have allen screws in them for adjustment, this one does not. The installation of a boost elbow allows you to build boost higher than 20 psi without the wastgate opening.

The elbow on the left is the stock elbow and the one on the right is the one that comes with the Edge that we will be installing..

Notice how the one from Edge is plugged and doesn't allow as much pressure through to the wastegate...

Start by removing the intake tubing from the turbo by loosening the hose clamp using a flat head screwdriver. You can see the hose clamp on the right side of the turbo holding the black intake tube...

Once the intake tubing is off and out of the way you can see the boost elbow below and to the left of the turbo inlet. The wastegate is below and to the right and the black tubing connects the two...

Take a 1/4" socket and remove the hose clamp holding the black tubing to the stock boost elbow. Kind of a blurry picture, but the shiny part of the elbow is what was inside the tubing...

Another shot of the turbo, this time with the elbow removed. When re-installing it is very important to not overtighten the elbow. To prevent this I counted the # of turns it took to remove the stock one. It took 7 complete turns to remove my stock elbow. Once you have it out, take a toothbrush and clean out those threads being careful to not push any dirt or debris into the hole.

I used an adjustable wrench to install the new elbow. Your # of turns may be different, but like I said, I turned the new one in 7 complete turns. Once the elbow is in, slide your new hose clamp over the tubing, and the tubing over the elbow. Use your 1/4" socket to tighten the hose clamp. The tubing is very thick & soft. You don't need to go He-Man on it, just tight enough so it can't work it's way off...

After the tubing is re-connected take a look at the turbo inlet making sure no debris got inside. I also ran a magnet around the edges to pick up any small metal debris in case some got in there. It's now time to re-install the intake tubing. Don't forget to re-connect the sensor on the intake if you disconnected it.

This is the finished product from the underside...

I'm An and I Drive A

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: Boost Elbow Installation - 3rd Gen 5.9L CTD
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:41:29 pm »
very nice :clap:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:42:56 pm »
Very Nice!

A few more of Frone's DIY's and I see a new Shade Tree being welcomed to the club.

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:35:15 am »
Thanks guys! :up:

Very Nice!

A few more of Frone's DIY's and I see a new Shade Tree being welcomed to the club.

:punk:
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:42:39 am »
BTW, this mod applies to any turbo that is not electronically controlled.

It does not apply to the 04.5+ CTD's that have electronically controlled wastegates or the 6.7's VGT turbo. These are modified by modifying the boost table with a programmer or fooling the ECM with a stand alone box.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:44:11 am by Cumminalong »

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:42:56 am »
Good job Anthony, and great pictures!  :clap:

Soooo...  How much difference did it make?
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:55:12 am »
Kilch, honestly after I did it I didn't even get a chance to drive it. I hope to have some new #'s tomorrow.

I was busy signing the papers with the buyer of my house :punk:

Finally sold it :up:
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:58:28 am »
Good job on the write up Frone.

Got a question though, is this something you would want to put thread locker on at all?
:cnfg:
'03 2500 CTD HO Laramie QC SB, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, BD X-Intake, custom 4" TBE, 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on 17x9 Cragar Soft 8s, Bilsteins all around, ProComp Dual Stabilizers w/ Bilsteins, Custom Diesel SBS, GlowShift 7 Series White guages (Boost, EGT, Trans)

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 03:22:34 pm »
Dragon, I was wondering the same but since the stocker didn't have any signs of it I decided not to use any.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »
I used a little teflon tape on mine when I did it, but not thread locker (I'm not a fan of that stuff - except for a few places)
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 05:21:37 pm »
AWESOME job Frone, and GREAT pics !! :punk:

Thank you !! :up:

Offline REDR6

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    Marine Corp
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 08:02:42 pm »
So exactly what does this thing do?
Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!

I think life is too short to spend your time working someplace where people don't crap their pants at the mere sight of you.

2001 Ram 2500 4x4 auto!

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 08:10:40 pm »
What it does is slow the reaction of the wastegate

The wastegate operates when the boost pressure overcomes the spring pressure in the wastgate actuator - this opens the wastegate, and dumps pressure to reduce boost.

The boost elbow has a very small oriface in it to limit how much pressure can get to the actuator quickly (the pressure will eventually build, and actuate the wastgate, but you'll be able to built much more boost before that happens)

Prior to the install, Anthony was seeing mid to upper 20's as far as boost.  Now, He's probably getting mid 30's

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 09:17:56 pm »
Kilch is exactly right.

Prior to the install I was getting around 25-26 psi, now I can hit 44 psi.

I'm actually thinking about changing it again to an adjustable one to lower the psi and get medium range at about 35 psi. 44 is way too high for me, I don't have the upgrades to handle it.

Red, an adjustable boost elbow does the same thing but has an allen screw so you can adjust how much airflow is allowed to reach the wastegate. With the allen screw set right I can still get higher than 25 psi but not as high as 44.
I'm An and I Drive A

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc