270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: leaks...dang'it  (Read 6973 times)

Offline cntryby

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
leaks...dang'it
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:06:30 pm »
When I did my first oil change I noticed these, and wiped them up. The next oil change it was still clean so I thought it may have been a spill or something during fill up of the fluids.

Now it's back...this just burns my butt up!!!!

I'm the old fart that  gets 16.5 to 17.3 mpg with a stock truck cause all I do is baby it. 70% or better is all highway miles, I've only towed with it twice, and that was just some brush on a 16 foot flat railer.

This is the bolt at the tranny to adapter plate, just above the stone sheild.

The stone sheild. At least the oil is clean. :argh:

But wait, lets not stop there...lets move on back to the tranny. This is the side of the tranny. I don't know what this tapped hole is for, but it looks like fluid may be coming from it because the tranny doesn't look wet above it, but it's hard ta see.

Just below the hole above is this. Whaddya know, this fluids clean too. IT OUTTA BE, IT"S A BRAND NEW $50,000 TRUCK!!!!! :90:

Around the pan seal, which looks like black RTV I can see fluid droplets, two or three of the bolts are wet too.

Talk about make'n ya sick. Now I gotta let a guy I don't know work on my ride...that makes my skin crawl.

If I'm right, the rear main seal was damaged during assembly and will need to be replaced. Meaning again I have ta let someone I don't know PULL MY FREAK"N TRANNY. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I wonder if Oneal will let a fellow professional mechanic work with their tech to make these repairs?

Had ta vent guys.
Grey haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.

08 Mega 4X4 3500 6.7L, line-x, Amp research power steps & Bed step, husky mud flaps, prodigy brake controller, front window tinting...it's started:$:

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
Re: leaks...dang'it
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:54 pm »
That threaded hole makes me nervous. I wonder what's supposed to be there?

If I needed work done and I lived within 200 miles of ONiels, that's where I'd take my truck for sure.

Offline cntryby

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:39:38 pm »
I think the deisel tech there is named Randy, I've heard really good stuff about him. As in...he knows his poopie.

08 Mega 4X4 3500 6.7L, line-x, Amp research power steps & Bed step, husky mud flaps, prodigy brake controller, front window tinting...it's started:$:

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:50:11 pm »
That's all I've ever heard about Randy. Apparently you'd be hard pressed to find a mechanic that cares more than him. Rich ( Cuminalong ) will vouch for him.

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:51:15 pm »
Ive heard randy is quite the tech. thats where i would take my truck.

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:47:43 pm »
I think the deisel tech there is named Randy, I've heard really good stuff about him. As in...he knows his poopie.

He knows his stuff and is a really nice guy too. Even Dave knows a thing or two. Thats where I take my truck.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:53:55 pm »

deisel???    :lol: :lol:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline cntryby

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:43:24 am »

deisel???    :lol: :lol:

Oh...now I have the f-n spell check police. Half the time I type Bard instead of Brad...so...

Only a pecker weed points out spelling errors on a forum.  :ph:  pick...opps, forgot the r

Offline burban2002

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorROTM
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:58 am »
I had the same experience with our 06 suburban.  I found ATF on the bottom of the pan, but I kinda let it go, although I frequently checked the fluid.  It was a little overfilled from the factory and after a while the drips stopped.
Edge Comp thanks to JakeBrake

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MOTYDonorDistinguishedTech
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 01:32:41 am »
I bet you the rear main in not leaking.  CTD's do not leak at the rear main.  #11 in the pic is usually the leaker. 

Offline Justviper1

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorContributor
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 02:19:28 am »
ok then what is 11?  My uncle is thinking that his rear main in his 94 is leaking because if the truck sits in one spot for a week it has a 4 inch puddle of engine oil that comes out of the bell housing area.  He was planning on putting in a new clutch when he pulled the trans to do it even though it doesn't need it yet.  Sorry to hijack the thread.
01 Ram 2500 QCLB 150 HP DDP Injectors, APR Studs, HTT 71 series turbo, Industrial Injection VP44, 4.5 Skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R16 tires, 5 Inch Custom Dual Exhaust, AFE Stage 2, AirDog 150, Adrenaline with Pulse V2, T/C lockup switch, Billet Garmon Transmission, LED taillights, Projector Headlights with HID High,Low and Fog Lights all LED Putco exterior lights

Offline cntryby

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:06:18 pm »
I bet you the rear main in not leaking.  CTD's do not leak at the rear main.  #11 in the pic is usually the leaker. 

Ok,...so what is number 11?
It still looks like the tranny has ta be pulled.

What about the tranny, any ideas on it?

I wiped it all down at aprox 4K miles & kept checking it every 500 or so until it hit 10K. I didn't crawl under the truck just looked from the side at the bottom of the stone sheild. This is the first time I cheked it in 1500 miles or so...& ...well..you see the results.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:14:34 pm »

Oh...now I have the f-n spell check police. Half the time I type Bard instead of Brad...so...

Only a pecker weed points out spelling errors on a forum.  :ph:  pick...opps, forgot the r

Damn!  Didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings...

Holy Cow!
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline cntryby

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 02:52:29 pm »

Damn!  Didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings...

Holy Cow!

Morning starts out with a drive to town to get my new camper top. At McDonalds I realized I didn't have my credit card...drive back home...12 miles each way.

Get to the shop & the camper top I ordered doesn't have the right windows, requiring a debate with the shop & having it sent back for the right ones.

Hit some dirts roads over the weekend, so crawled under the truck this morning to see what kind of mud got on the motors of the running boards & found these leaks.

Daughter has appointment with oral surgen & I find out insurance won't cover most of it & I'm outta pocket $3500.

Somebody at the Dr's office tags my door and my new truck has it's first dent.

Contsruction made me take an hour and 45 minutes to get home istead of the 40 min it should have.

Get home, my brothers doing some welding at my place, as soon as I get out of the truck he ask..."who shot your jet ski"? Theres a bullet hole in the hood of my wifes jet ski.

When I finally get inside, I check my post about my leaks...& somebody has spell checked me....    :eek: :censored: :censored:

:drink: :drink:

No sweat dude, you just kinda walk in at the wrong time... :oops:

no hard feelings :surrender:

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 03:15:36 pm »
Well I hope today goes better for ya

Did you find out about the threaded hole in the side of the trans yet?  I did some looking online here, and couldn't find anything about it.

As far as #11 in the pic - looks like it goes in from the engine side of the adapter plate, so yea - trans would have to come down.

You're still warranty though, right?  Still sucks to have somebody pull your ride apart (even if you're not paying for it)

Somebody shot your Jetski?!?!  Damn!  hope it just hit the body, and none of the goodies inside.

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc