270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Burning used motor oil in a Cummins  (Read 6986 times)

Offline dhamblet

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
Burning used motor oil in a Cummins
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:22:43 pm »
Last oil change I drained the used oil into a clean container and dumped the black used Rotella back into my fuel tank slowly mixing it with a tank of Diesel.  Truck seemed to run just fine.  I suppose this act may shorten the life of my fuel filter -- no big deal cause I change it regularly anyway.  The oil should have been pretty clean since I use a Franz bypass filter on the truck.  I'd avoid burning used synthetic oil but does anyone see a problem recycling used Rotella. 

Secondary benefit of this is occasionally some dyed off road diesel finds its way into the tank (by accident of course when I get my tractor fuel mixed up).  I've never been checked but I understand there are those that have.  Used black motor oil would obscure any traces of the dye

Comments
2006 Dodge RAM Laramie H pkg, 5.9 CTD, LWB, QC, 4wd, 6 speed, PacBrake, Brite Box, AirLift Wireless Air.

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
Re: Burning used motor oil in a Cummins
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:41:43 pm »
I have read a article about this I will see if I can find it, but they filtered it with two filters and a magnet

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:16 pm »
I'm gonna move this thread into the Cummins section...we often talk about alt fuels there also.

Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:09 pm »
As for burning motor oil...what I've read is it blows your emissions way out of the water.  I don't think I'd do it for long that's for sure.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:00:09 pm »
Burning used oil in the 5.9s is just fine (I believe the DPF on 6.7s would have some issues).  As you said it does take a toll on the fuel filter (unless you set up a filter rig for yourself to filter it before you put it in the tank).  Just stay WAY away from tranny fluid, it has all kinds of crazy additives that will eventually gum up injectors and such.
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)
Wife's Car: 2012 Charger 3.5L SXT Silver
My Car: 1996 BMW 328i convertible, 5-speed, Black
Little Truck: 1972 GMC K1500 V-eight, 4x4, Auto, Shortbed
Mileage maker: 1995 Maxima, 5-spd, Black
Wifey's Car: 2012 Charger SXT, Silver, V6

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:55:28 pm »
So we can really take our used oil, filter it and dump it in the tank?  That's pretty cool.  Mines a 2001 so I don't have to worry about all the new emissions.  Does it do anything to the fuel mileage?
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:42:36 am »
My fear is any micron of metal getting through into the injectors

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline dhamblet

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:41 am »
My fear is any micron of metal getting through into the injectors

Isn't that what your fuel filter is for?  I wouldn't want anything metal or non-metallic getting into the injectors unless it could pass on thru.
2006 Dodge RAM Laramie H pkg, 5.9 CTD, LWB, QC, 4wd, 6 speed, PacBrake, Brite Box, AirLift Wireless Air.

Offline Justviper1

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorContributor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:59:44 am »
I would be careful on an 01.  If any metal got past the fuel filter and got into the VP44 i think it is safe to say good bye to it.  The VP is touchy since the fuel lubes it so personally i wouldn't put used oil in it.  I have put good clean oil in that has just been a real old bottle on the shelf to get rid of it before though.
01 Ram 2500 QCLB 150 HP DDP Injectors, APR Studs, HTT 71 series turbo, Industrial Injection VP44, 4.5 Skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R16 tires, 5 Inch Custom Dual Exhaust, AFE Stage 2, AirDog 150, Adrenaline with Pulse V2, T/C lockup switch, Billet Garmon Transmission, LED taillights, Projector Headlights with HID High,Low and Fog Lights all LED Putco exterior lights

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:11:20 am »
Anything you ever wanted or need to know about adding any kind of oil to your fuel can be found here.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002-dodge/tips-and-tricks/2-cycle-oil/2-cycle-oil.htm

Offline jakebrake

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Wired
  • Awards:
    MileHighTech
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:01:11 am »
Anything the fuel filter dont catch aint gonna hurt your pump or injectors none. Thats what the fuel filter is there for. If your gonna burn it, I would make sure your drain pan is clean before draining the engine oil and I wouldnt drain the oil filter out into it either. Then just pour it in the tank.
*2015 Durango R/T
*2006 Durango Limited
*2000 F250

Special thanks to Rich at www.doghousediesel.com

Offline DBLR

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 05:15:52 pm »

I would run the oil through a no less then two 3 micron or smaller filters and over several magnets to remove any metal before you put it in your tank. The only synthetic oils you would need to worry about is Amsoil or Redline or any oil that is made from 100% man made group IV or V base stock. Most off the shelf synthetic oils like Rotella, Castrol ect are made from group III crude oil base stock.
2006 QC SB 4x4 3.73 Nerf Bars,
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan RT,

Offline swany

• Awards:
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 05:51:44 am »
Interesting subject.

I am a retired truck fleet manager. About 4 years now. On my last job I operated 65 tractors. Most of them Cummins but I had Macks and Detriot Diesels too. The Cummins engine company used to sell a machine that had 3 hoses. Two of them dropped into the fuel tank and one connected to a quick coupler on  the oil pan. The machine had a pump and two spin-on filters. It would suck diesel out of the fuel tank while it sucked engine oil out of the crankcase. It would mix them, filter them, and return the diesel \ oil mixture to the fuel tank to be burned on the next trip out.

Made for a real fast oil change. The mechanic would put the machine to work and while it was doing its thing he would change the oil filter. Then disconnect the machine and fill with oil. The whole process was blessed by Cummins. Mack and Detriot Diesel said no way though. I did this for about 15 years and never had a problem with it.

There was also some hardware available that would draw a metered amount of oil from the crankcase while the truck was being operated and burn it with the fuel. It replaced it with oil from an on-board oil tank. This was a perpetual oil change. The serviceman would just have to change the oil filter and refill the oil tank every 25000 miles or so.

I considered switching to this equipment, but I retired instead.
Swany, livin' the life

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 07:51:13 pm »
Swany is right, I've read about the on board "perpetual oil change" stuff on the Cummins web site. A guy that drag races 12V trucks has an old 12V parts / shop truck that runs on 100% drain oil!

I don't think I would run high percentages in my CR truck. If I were going to do this it would be mixed as an additive (200:1 or so).
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 07:51:54 pm »
Whoa that's pretty cool !! :eek:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc